Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ball-o-Yarn Ornament

The multitude of posts that are clogging up filling my blog roll recently have inspired me to share my own DIY ornament.

This has definitely been done before (hence where my idea came from) so I claim no proprietary rights for this idea and promise not sue anyone for patent infringement if and when you copy me.



Gather your supplies:
Yarn (any color, I went for the color I wanted in the cheapest brand I could find)

Note: You don't have to use clear glass ornaments, you can really use just about anything. Racquetballs or ping pong balls would work wonderfully as well.

Step 1: Take off the thingy at the top of the ornament.
Step 2: Dab a little glue at the neck of the ball and hold yarn in place. At this point walk away for 5-10 minutes so that the glue can dry. If you don't walk away you'll be pulling off the yarn every 9 seconds to see if it's dry yet. Trust me. I pulled it off. Every 9 seconds. For like 6 minutes.
Step 4: Add a few lines of glue going down the ball. Not too long though, it tends to dry up fast.
Step 5: Wrap your yarn around the ornament.
Step 6: Keep wrapping.
Step 7: At some point when you hit the fattest part of the ball it starts to get harder to wrap the yarn around using the glue lines I mentioned above. So I tried the method in this picture out and that seemed to work better.
Step 8: Finish wrapping the whole ball. You can leave it how it is or you can go crazy wrapping the yarn in all sorts of directions. I chose to keep it sorta simple. It was late and I was tired, so I got lazy.

Please excuse the pictures. My camera all of the sudden takes crap pictures. Apparently my iPhone does a better job. Me not happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment